Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How God Spoke through a Dog

Hey, if God can do donkies . . . Seriously, here is a great message from Linda Byrd, responding to my blog post about some people having more intimacy with their dog than with God. Linda writes, "On 10/8/09 my precious 5 month old English Springer Spaniel went missing out of my backyard. I thought my heart would literally break inside of me. I searched for her everywhere for 3 days. (this was durning our Mission Expo) I called for her. I looked for her. If you were out in your yard I stopped and asked if you had seen my puppy and told you all the particulars. I began to bargain with God, I'll pray more, I'll do my devotions without fail just bring her home and oh yeah, thank you Lord for not taking one of my children to get my attention, just my puppy that I had waited on for 17 years. On 10/10/09 I searched again in the only area that I thought she could be and saw a huge coyote. My heart sank and I felt sick. I began to say that someone must have her at their house and at least she was safe. On Sunday night, the end of Expo, we were singing a song that I can not remember when out of no where I felt a great impression of the following: "You say you love Me with all your heart and You say you know of My saving grace, how is it you can talk to totally strangers and friends about finding your dog, but can't even bother to tell them I love them."


I went home and left the porch light on, the fence gate open and the back porch door open for the 3 night in a row. I wondered how much longer would I do this ritual since she was not coming home. I went to bed with a little less sadness, and wondering how to tell others about Jesus more.

Monday morning at 5 a.m., my husband Todd got up, fixed coffee, looked on the back porch and the next sound I heard was dog toenails on linoleum. One of the sweetest sounds I have heard since the first breath of my children. My puppy was home! God used my dog to show me where I lacked for Him. I still struggle with how and when to speak to someone about Jesus, but I am trying and I am using my puppy to do so."

No comments: